Sunday, March 9, 2014

Fiera's first ride

This weekend was the highly anticipated Louisiana purchase Natrc ride. It was Fiera's debut to distance riding and I will call it a mild success.

The good parts were:
1.  I did not fall off even when she had a rodeo moment.
2. We did not get held at any p&r.
3. She is an excellent camper and slept and ate well at the trailer.
4. She did not create enemies at the p&r hollering for other horses (and in fact is not a hollering horse most days anyway)
5. Spent the weekend with my best friends!
6. Very calm and reasonable for the most part with o my 1 scary moment on the first day.
7. Smooth, comfortable gaits.

The parts that need work (not necessarily in order)
1. I didn't get to ride with my friends as much as I wanted because Fiera is evidently kind of slow.
2. Sore back and girth, either BC of tack or not enough conditioning.
3. Higher than desirable pulse Rate on p&r.
4. Needs a lot more conditioning!
5. Nonexistent obstacle skills. 

I admit that I missed Liberty most of the weekend even though Fiera was great. Its hard to start a new horse when you have a beloved rock star in the pasture.

In two weeks we do the comfy clinic but I'm thinking of taking Liberty to Pole Canyon. I think Fiera needs more riding before I want to try again.

The ride itself was great. We didn't have to time out till 8 on Saturday and it was nice to sleep late. The start was near disastrous as a lot if fresh horses came charging down the hill. Annette's reins broke and there was a lot of nerves exchanged between  first time horses Tally and Fiera. I ended up near the back with Maddie Martin and Christa, though Christa left us soon To go faster. We had a rodeo moment when a stick stabbed her in the flank but i rode it out and she went to be just fine.  Maddie and I rode the day alternately pushing and pulling the other along when both horses got tired. Knox did the obstacles perfectly and Fiera did the natural ones pretty well but blew anything the judges set. We had a great time and barely made it back in time. She was tired with a slightly sore back and girth. Not NAD enough to not rude,but I planned to baby her the rest of the weekend  

Sunday we timed out much early and due to Sharon Martin-Holmes horses setting a quick pace we made much better time. Then Maddie had to pull due to a gall and Sharon rode with me till she couldn't go my pace anymore. With many apologies she left me with the safety rider and went on to catch Annette and Christa. It was time for us to be grown ups and Fiera rose to the occasion. She continued at a slow but steady pace Into the  p&r and beyond where she bumped into her trailer mate and they finished together.

She needs a better walk to be more but really did a great job of moving out. We cantered some and she was always in control. I would really like to be able to ride with my friends in the future. Riding with Sharon was good for Ber because I don't tho k she realized she could go that fast.

All in all a good first ride.

1 comment:

Claire Curry said...

proud of both of you!

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...