Sunday, March 13, 2011

Getting well

Today I got into a hot shower and soaked for a long, long time. It reminded me of when Eric and I were kids and we had a sauna shower in the utility room bathroom. Mom would stick u's in there whenever our asthma got really bad and steam us. I hated being locked in that shower back then (well not literally locked) because it was so boring and I was so ADD. but now I think of how nice it would be to have that steam feature in my house. I would love to relax in the steam.

I also think a lot about that house in Broken Arrow. I think I would like to be able to build that house in my sims 3 game. It was a cool house with two staircases, two toy closets and a rec room. Mom had her sewing room and dad had his study. We had so much room to run and play. That neighborhood was safe and fun. We'd go out in the morning and return late in the day. We only lived there four years but they seemed like my happiest child hood times. Of course my friends were already moving before we did but I assume other kids would have come. When we moved to Missouri in 1976 there were not kids in the new neighborhood to play with. Fifth grade is an awkward time to move.

Anyway. I was thinking about that sauna and it just made me remember

Sandra Ladd died yesterday even after almost a year of battling health troubles. She was a trail riding friend who I met in 2009. I can't remember first meeting her but I do know it was in may of 2009 that I had a chance to really chat with her. She camped in a van at first and later upgraded to an old motor home (exactly the kind I'd like to have--just the right size). She was a vegan who had battled cancer on multiple occasions. This is what led her to becoming a vegan. She loved it when I made veggie side dishes for potluck. At pole canyon I was contemplating an interview and possible job change. After telling her what I did and what I was going to do she encouraged me not to trade my current life for another. I wasn't offered the job anyway but when I saw her again in the fall she asked me what I had done and applauded my decision. Over the year that I got to see her at rides she was always happy and perky and fun. She and her horse sassy were always at the top of the division. When she had her car accident in may 2010 she was at the top of her division battling with another friend. We'd all hoped she'd be back. But then cancer came back and her body just couldn't hold out. I am so happy she survived her December proclamation of death to host our TTC judges clinic in January. We had hoped that the emerging brain tumor would be stopped but it was not to be. Sandra was ready to join our Lord. We just weren't ready to let her go.

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...