Friday, May 25, 2018

I don't want to be in the middle

Disclaimer: This is a combination of many incidents where I have heard and/or felt these words and this emotional position. If it resembles you in a conversation with me than it may have happened. This is not an indictment of anyone in particular, just me ranting about all the bad things that have come out of society when these words get spoken.

I hate bullies.   Since I was a small child when I saw injustice I would stick up for the underdog. I was discouraged to do this by my parents, but it never stuck. I felt like I had the ability to dissect the situation and figure out who was truly at fault and who was being bullied and I didn't like it. One day, on the bus ride home from school a boy was picking on my brother. When we got off the bus this kid was going to fight him and slugged him and told my brother to run home. I was terrified I was going to be in trouble, but I'm guessing being slugged by a 3rd or 4th grade girl probably doesn't hurt much.

I feel good and worthy when I stick up for people...however I often get thrown under the bus by the "I don't want to get in the middle" people.  Most of the time people say this after they have stirred the pot or started a fire on one side, so they are already in the middle. They just don't want to stick up for the other side, or they remember how much they hate confrontation and back off. 

It seems to me that Hitler was a bully and look what trouble he caused.

I am a Child of God.  I don't like to fight with people, but I will absolutely get fired up and defend what I believe is right.  I'm not going to lay down and take people running over the top of me. I try to nicely set things up first, then I speak with more force, but don't be mistaken, I will fight back. I think that folks think I'm not going to fight because I get angry and then move on from my anger because staying angry just takes way too much energy. I believe that our enemy (Satan) gets a foothold every time someone says they don't want to be in the middle, or refuses to stand up for what is right. I'm even ok with an out and out argument if both people are fighting for what they believe in.  I believe that an honest exchange, even if it's an emotional exchange, will often bring good results if each party is able to express their feelings and thoughts in a constructive way. 

In any case, I'm taking a stress break tomorrow and Sunday and seeing some girlfriends I haven't spent time with since Michael and I married.  I need a break from several stressful scenarios that have played out this week. I'm hoping that a couple days with friends will be relaxing.  It will be weird though because I haven't camped away from Mike since we became a couple almost 2 years ago (June 11, 2016). He is totally cool with me going. In fact, he insisted.  Now, to do paperwork so I can relax this weekend...

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...