Sunday, May 6, 2018

The Great Commission sermon notes.

Matthew 28. The Great Commission 

People often leave the church or say they are not satisfied at church. 

Pastor believes that we will ultimately be judged by God of how well we fulfilled our job description. 

"And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth."  "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,". "teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.""
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭28:18- 20‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Disciple means follower. 

Personal note...I have been shying away from having people following me. I have been shying away from being a disciple. Wondering if this is a sign from God that I'm making bad choices. I'm not even talking about Christ. Just in general. 

Our job description 
1. Our church is to focus our, not in. The major reason we have had people leave the church is BC they have never understood that they should focus out.  Verse 19 doesn't say to only make disciples out of people we like. (Personal note...I have been doing this for awhile and have been experiencing burnout. Time to get off my tush). Our primary responsibility is not to come to church. It is to bring others to church. 

2. The disciples  of the church help people be and do. If you are a follower of Jesus and have not been baptized then you should be baptized. After we baptized them we should teach them all things Jesus. If Jesus says to do it. We should do it. It is a sign of spiritual maturity.  

3.  Our job is done through we not me. Jesus is with us always.  God shows up in a church fulfills their job description. It's not in the shear number of people. Jesus says let's do this job together. 

Jesus  has come into our heart so we can bring Jesus into other peoples lives   

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...