Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A little catch up

Since I have 15 minutes before leaving for group, I won't even begin to get caught up, but I felt like writing a little. I write blogs in my head all day long, but then I get home to a computer and never seem to have the time to write it down on paper, so it stays in my head.

The big news is that I'm going to get in shape. Yes, I have said this many times before and it hasn't been true...or it's only been true for a very short time, but this time it's really true and it's going to stick. I started working out on vacation mostly b/c I was eating too much and I wanted to minimize the damage. Then I was at Susan's and it was easy b/c she works out and I didn't have to cook supper for anyone and it was fun to have a work out buddy. So then I came home and procrastinated for a few days and then woke up that Friday (two weeks this Friday) and decided I would start working out. I took my Jillian Michaels Win by losing book to the gym (in electronic form on the iPhone--way cool) and started her circuit training. I did that Friday, then last week I did 3 of the 4 days, but also started swimming and walking. Yesterday I started the first day of couch to 5K which is running 1 minute and walking 90 seconds for 20 minutes (with a warm up and cool down of course) and then today I swam after doing my Jillian work out. So, it's tuesday and I have done 2 Jillian workouts and 1 swim and 1 "run". Yea me!  I have been getting to the gym between 6:30 and 7. Tomorrow is supposed to be a day off and I won't lift any weights, but I will either go run on the treadmill, or get outside and take the dogs for the walk/run.  Thursday I should be able to work out before I leave town to go ride. Then I will have to switch things up at the end of the week. I hope to either swim or run every other day as much as possible. I will start to throw some biking in too as soon as I get my bike repaired.

I have two goals in mind for myself. I will be 45 in October and I would like to run a mini-triathlon by the end of the year and I would like to ride Liberty in a 50 miles race no later than the 7 IL high roller ride in January.  I don't know if I can actually work in both of these goals on this time frame, but I have to give it some try.  A mini-triathlon will require me to run 3 miles (5K) swim half a mile (which is only 16 laps--I am already doing 10 laps with minimal rest--today I did 5 100's) and bike 15 miles. Despite being heavy (i'll say it, I'm fat. I weigh 217 pounds today despite my efforts to eat right and follow my Weight Watcher's points) I'm in really good shape. I can already see how my strength and cardio fitness has improved. When I first got in the pool 10 days ago, I had trouble swimming one lap without needing a rest. Today, after the running and lifting (I have not had a chance to swim since then) I was able to do 2 laps at a time and didn't need much rest in between.

So, it's a start. By putting the goal out there in the public, it makes it real and it makes me accountable. So here we go.

Today is not a busy one. One of my clients is on vacation. I have a group and then I have my faraway client. I hope to get done and get a ride on Oly, Liberty, or Fiera in this afternoon before it storms again and I have to cook supper.

2 comments:

Dom said...

Good set of goals :) Good luck :)

KSLongrider said...

You can do it. Once you've been at it long enough that it becomes a habit it feels a little easier.

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...