Monday, September 10, 2007

Weekend update

Our weekend trail ride didn't go as planned. We had planned so beautifully too, so it's really a shame.

The short version (well, I mean for it to be short b/c it's late and I'm tired) is that Freeley got tangled in his rope at the trailer on Friday am. I don't know how he did it, but I heard him thrashing at the trailer and went out to untie him. He had a rope burn, a gash on his lower left hind leg, and various cuts and bruises. He had also managed to pull his rope halter over his nose, but it was still over his head (note to self: no rope halters at the trailer) He never took a bad step, but the vet judge felt like he was too badly injured to start and that it would likely get infected on the trail.

So, I thought I would just find Maggie someone to ride with.

Then she checked in and the judge said that Deli was grade 3 lame. It's that same old something that's been going on for 2 years. She's not "really" lame, but she looks lame and tracks lame. I don't think she hurts b/c she's bright eyed and good natured. I think her hind quarters are weak from EPM and perhaps she has some left stifle involvement. I can show her off to make her look more sound. I have ridden her twice this year when she wasn't called lame and I honestly think she was just the same.

Maggie was heartbroken. She cried, I cried...then Peter took her to town for ice cream and I trimmed Deli to see if shortening up her toes helped any...it did seem to, but it was too late by then.

We hung around to have supper and then we went to bed. The next morning we packed it up and went home after the riders had timed out. I know I was a jerk for not staying and working the P&R's, but I was so depressed that I just couldn't stay and watch everyone. Turns out it was a really good choice, b/c they had a terrible storm and I'm a tent camper. They ended up calling the ride for the second day b/c the trail conditions were too bad for folks to go out. I know that one of the streams we crossed on Friday morning was high then. I can't imagine what it looked like after it rained all of Saturday and Saturday night.

I have a vet and chiro coming to see her tomorrow. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this. I have a bad feeling it can't be fixed, but the vet seems to think it can. I have my fingers crossed and I'm praying hard.

ON the subject of easy boots...I foamed on my first set and it was ridiculously easy. I don't know what I worried about. I got them off on Sunday and they are a mess that needs to be cleaned up. They are in the back of my truck in a bucket of water. I will have "Fun" picking them out over the coming days. I'm not sure the foam helped them stay on that much. The amount they recommended sure seemed like a lot, but I did notice that it wasn't on the bottom of the boots so much, so I wonder if I should have used more. I also didn't get the lid back on the chemicals tightly enough and it made a mess in my tack box. YUCK!

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...