Wednesday, February 13, 2008

video of Liberty

This is a video of me working Liberty in the round pen last Friday. He finally has started to "get it" in the bridle. He still objects to the piece of metal in his mouth by working his jaw all the time, but he's starting to understand that it's for steering and stopping just like the bosal is.

Today was a short but successful ride. I ground drove him in the round pen, something I confess I am not very good at but he takes it very well. I'm always amazed how sweet and forgiving he is considering how green he is. I got on him for a few minutes after working on the ground with the bridle and bit in my english saddle. He seemed uncomfortable today even when i rode him on a totally loose rein. I worried that it could be my English saddle (which I just bought) that he doesn't like. the fit appears to be pretty good to me, but I have learned that there is no way to know until you use it awhile. He was squirrely on the trail though in a different saddle, behaving in the same way, so it could just be how he's acting at this point in our training. It could have as much to do with the bit as with the saddle. I need to see about having the chiro see him. He is reactive to my left leg on him when I want him to move his hind end over, but does really well when I move him over from the right.

The good news is that he's doing so many things well. He's keeping all four feet on the ground and he's stopping and backing well. He's going down hills better. He's standing for me to mount, even from the off side. He always comes up to me no matter how much work we've done the day before. He's just amazing.

In a few weeks we're going to the Texas Trail Challenge. That will be the longest I will have been on him. I'm just so impressed with this little guy. I have to get in shape so I can be lighter and rider him better. We also have a lesson next week with Danielle of Turning Point Farms. She will start us wherever we are using whatever tack we're comfortable with.

Unfortunately Freeley is feeling left out. I need to take him out and ride him so that he doesn't feel left out. He's still my heart and soul. He's my favorite horse that I have ever had.

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...