Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer is here, the craziness has begun

I have been so swamped since the last time I posted. I can't even remember when the last time I posted actually was, that's how long it's been.

Maggie left last Friday for vacation with her grandparents in Nantucket. She enjoys going to the island with Meg and Lori every summer. I think she missed last year because we could just never work it into the schedule, so we were double determined to get her there this year. Shawn was supposed to go with her and they were going to go for two weeks. But, at the near last minute, his new boss rescinded the approved vacation that the old boss had given him and he is now stuck not being allowed to take time off all summer. It was really horrible and I felt bad for him. Fortunately, Meg and Lori still wanted Maggie to come and they changed the dates so she could come up. I haven't talked to her much this week, which tells me that she has had fun and is really busy. I will pick her up tonight at the airport. I am hoping she feels like going riding tomorrow, but I think she may just want to hang out at home and chill.

For most of the week my friend Karen has been here visiting from KY. She was my activity assistant at Red Banks Nursing facility in Henderson, KY when Maggie was just a baby. Her boys were 3 and 5 when we met. Now Maggie is almost 12 and her boys are almost 14 and 16, so we've known each other awhile :-) She had to have foot surgery and was told she can't walk on her foot for 4 weeks. So, I suggested she recover at my house. I thought she was coming next week,but I was confused...she called me last Friday and said she was coming Monday. It was fine. I had nothing planned for this week, but I was really bummed that she and her boys missed Maggie. We did a few things that required being on our feet, but mostly we just hung out. I ate out alot (that was bad, bad bad for my wasteline) and we went to see Star Trek the movie, which was great. I bought Peter rock band 2 for the Wii and the boys enjoyed playing that as well. It was a super laid back week.

I rode for about 10 minutes this week. Too much going on to ride much. Dana came over and we fed and rode a bit. One of Karen's kids rode Dana's pony and he seemed to enjoy that as well.

I did just get an email that seems to indicate that Liberty and I might not actually have placed 3rd last weekend. I'm not sure if it went out to everyone or if it just went out to people who had a status change. I will know later. Of course, I'm disappointed, but that's the way it goes sometimes. The ride manager was really gracious and told everyone to keep the prizes she gave everyone and she's going to get new prizes out to everyone. Sometimes this happens with NATRC rides too. I never minded having to change ribbons much, but when I'd won something cool, I hated being asked to send my prize to someone else, especially if it's something I had already used and something I really liked. I know that ride managers probably suffer a lot of pain when they have to make these changes. I know how I'd feel if it happened to me.

Liberty choked on me this week. He hadn't done that for a really long time and I was worried about him. Usually I have to put a hose down his mouth to get the pellets lubricated and get him cleaned out but this time I used dynamite relax and release and it worked great. I squirted relax into his mouth and then I squirted release onto his throat and massaged his throat. The combination of both seemed to remove the blockage much more quickly than any time I have ever used water to clean him out. I will have to start making sure he and Fiera are separated at feeding. They were playing musical buckets and that seems to be when they have the most trouble. I also had bought a bag of low carb feed made by Dumor as I wasn't able to get over to Grapevine to pick up feed and the texture seems to be different.

Karen left today and Maggie doesnt' get back until late. I'm not sure what I'll do when I get done for the day. I may go ride for a bit or I maygo home and enjoy a quiet house...except that it's liable to feel lonely after having company all week.

No comments: