Sunday, June 17, 2007

A sunday rant

I did not intend my blog to be a place to rant and be grouchy, but it seems that sometimes this is the best place that I can vent.

I teach riding lessons. I have been teaching lessons in western saddles because my barn has western saddles. I teach English riding but I use western saddles. I have been taking lessons in Centered riding and plan to get certified as instructor eventually. I like Centered Riding b/c it addresses all types of riding, it's neither English nor Western. Anyone can use the techniques. It takes you into any direction you want to go.

I recently had a student whose mother decided that I did not teach western enough. I'm not sure what that means exactly, but after I said something about teaching basic riding through my english experience in a western saddle, she dropped us from lessons and found a "western" trainer. Now I have a new potential student who isn't sure if she wants to take from me or someone else b/c they don't think I'm English enough. I have been doing dressage for 14 years. How English is that? Until one year ago I didn't even own a western saddle that I used regularly (I have had a couple through the years, but they were always the spare, "friend", saddle, not MY saddle). I'm just so frustrated. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

This is why I don't like teaching. I feel like I'm stuck on the whim of each set of parents. I am a good teacher. I have a lot to offer, but I don't seem to ever get the respect I feel I deserve. It seems that folks don't respect what we do in CTR, or it's not english or western enough or something. I feel like I have to claw my way up the ladder at every turn. I have more years of experience than both of the other girls. I know that they are good teachers and the three of us have no arguments. We work together really well and get along great. I just don't understand why the parents think that at 24 they are more experienced than I am at 40. I have taken lessons and I have been riding for close to 20 years. I wish I could figure out what it is that doesn't gain me the success and respect. I also wish I could learn just not to care.

In good news, there was an error on my score card for the Indian territory CTR Memorial day w/e. I won in Horsemanship and Freeley won in horse. I knew about Freeley, but I thought I had come in second in Horsemanship. This means that if either of us wins another ride this year, we'll be noviced out. I'm so amazed that we're doing this well. I'm so pleased with my boy. He's so awesome!!!

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...