Thursday, June 7, 2007

Weekend away

This weekend I'm going to the first CTR in Cass County, TX. It's at Wright Patman Lake near Queen City, TX and it sounds like it's going to be great. It also sounds like everyone in NATRC region four will be there.

I've been having a dilemma of spirit b/c I am torn about which horse to take. I have planned all along to take Deli (well, I've been planning it since the Arkansas ride back in April) and I'm leaving her with Larry Gould so that she and his stallion, Repo (aka Phantom Sheik--I've always thought it sounded like a condom name) can make nice and give us a baby next year. Problem is that she's not the competitor Freeley is. He won his second ride 2 weeks ago. We're on a roll. I really don't want to ride her.

I had three options...I could take both horses which means I'm hauling 3 with a small truck and that just seems like a bad idea. I could take Freeley and compete and then take Deli out to Marshall later in the week, but that will mean 2 more tanks of gas (or about $130) and that doesn't seem wise monetarily. I think I've decided just to take Deli and hope that she surprises me.

The main reason I don't want to take her is that I'm worried that she's a little off. She's not lame, it's not off in legs. She is just not holding her head right. She seems really stiff in her poll. I think she's needs an adjustment, which isn't going to happen tomorrow. I did some stretches with her today and she's holding her head funny. I'm hoping I can get her relaxed and stretched out and she'll be better, but I'm worried that I'll lose points for lameness. When she trots on her right circle she doesn't bend through her rib cage and it makes her trot look really funny. I really wanted to see how Freeley stacks up against all 17 other novice heavy weight horses. Now I'll never know if he's as good as everyone in the region or not...

In the fall it's just me and Freeley. He's the man!

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...