Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Reflecting on the diet journey

Tonight it's going to get cold. They say it will be colder than it's been in Texas in 13 years...I am not ready.

Not to talk about this twice in one day, but it's on my mind...and that is what blogs are for.

I weighed in today and I gained four pounds. I don't really feel all that bad about the pounds as I was actually up by 3 more last week and I have been dropping steadily each day per the wii fit. I'm exercising and eating better than I was eating previously when I gained 30 pounds last year (from March till September) so overall, I can't be too upset with myself.

I'm finding that I dislike the very diet industry that is helping me. I'm getting over the attitude b/c they are providing me valuable tools and I'm losing weight, but I'm finding that I resent not being able to eat any fruit (per the medifast plan) and I'm missing the occasional potato. I really want to get the weight off, so I'm going to stick with it b/c I know it works, but I do find myself looking longingly at plates of pasta and produce and wishing for some. I don't even really miss dessert when I don't eat it. But I do miss popcorn. Of course, all this missing is good for me b/c these are things I was eating that was wrecking my health and making me gain weight...so resenting the diet plan is not very productive. I was reminded again today that it's one day at a time, one meal at a time, one choice at a time.

Last night we watched the Good Eats special: Live and Let Diet. Alton Brown showed videos of when he was 50 pounds heavier and talked about the plan he developed for himself to lose 50 pounds in 9 months...a feat which I found to be impressive.

He works off four lists which I will copy below. He starts each day with a smoothie for breakfast. I hope to use these lists as I finish medifast and continue onto maintenance...only I suspect I will continue to lose even while on Medifast maintenance.

Daily
- Fruits
- Whole Grains - Leafy Greens - Nuts - Carrots - Green Tea

3 times a week

- Oily Fish
- Yogurt
- Broccoli
- Sweet Potato
- Avocado

Once a week

- Red meat
- Pasta
- Dessert
- Alcohol

NEVER!

- Fast Food
- Soda
- Processed meals/frozen dinners
- Canned soup
- "Diet" anything

Eat breakfast every day, no exceptions

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...