Tuesday, July 3, 2007

And yet more rain

Last week, it really did look like we'd have a clearing off by tomorrow, but no such luck. Poor Maggie went to her dad's for the night. She and Alexa (his buddy who lives across the street) and Shawn went to the Ft. Worth Cats game...well, it was rained out. The good news is that they will have rain check tickets for sometime in the future. Maggie spent the night at Alexa's since her dad has to get up early for work tomorrow. She called awhile ago saying that she was going to go to the museum with Alexa tomorrow am...good for Maggers. She has been so hyper-sensitive about being gone at night that I was happy to have her go there and not be calling me every five minutes stressing out about being away from home.

The plan B camping trip is in high danger of being cancelled now too, with the places I was going to go for lessons and the other camp ground being rained on. I think now we'll go to the Bar 50 ranch in Arkansas in a couple weeks. I've looked at it's location and it's closer than angelina and since it's rocky the ground won't be too wet. I wanted to go to Cass county, where we had the trail ride but right now the equestrian camp ground is under water, so that's not good! At bar 50 you can camp or stay in the lodge...Maggie and I are happy camping, but if Peter will agree to go, I'll go for fewer days and get a room in the lodge just to get him to come with us.

Thursday is the big day for Delicato. She will be checked for pregnancy and by golly I hope she took. as many times as the stallion bred her she should have taken. If she didn't I will have her checked out as to why, but it will probably end my attempts to breed her...Maybe I'll talk to my friend Karen about Liberty, a paso/arab cross she says she would "give" me for about no money...I'm just not willing to jump through a lot of hoops to make this happen for us. And of course, I don't really need Liberty or any other new horse now...I had hoped to raise a baby. I suppose there is always next year, but I'm not sure if I will try again. The timing is tricky enough for this year. By next year it will be too late. My plan is to let Maggie do the fall rides and the six O ride, then perhaps the first March ride and maybe an april ride depending on the mare and how fit she is. Then she'll have her foal and maybe I'll get one last ride out of her for next year.

Of course, this may be too much to ask of a bred mare...it depends on who you ask. Some tell me to do it; it will be good for her. Others say I'm just nuts to consider it. we have not ruled out letting her compete on Joe Bear next fall either. She can handle him, but if he has one of his insane moods, she will be so embarrassed. Again, that's why we wanted to do it now. She can find a horse at the barn to borrow if she needs to. Jackie is very generous. She will always have something to ride.

Speculation is pointless till I see if she's bred.

I got 2 new clients today. I see them for the first time on Thursday. Business is picking up. My goal is to pay for all animal related expenses out of my business account. Then I will start also buying clothes, getting our hair cuts and just general spending money...the bills are getting paid off. I have a goal to be at $1500 gross per month by school starting. This will take about 8 clients per week...10 will make it an even $2000/month. Of course, I have to take out for taxes, tithe and keep money back for business expenses, so it's not as much money as it sounds, but it's a nice start. It's a bit tricky to get used to paying these things from the smaller pool of money. I need to be careful that I get my materials each week before I start paying for other things. Fortunately, once I purchase a few things and get more lamination done, I'll be in good shape...I threw away a bunch of materials about a year ago thinking I wouldn't be doing this anymore...I just could kick myself.

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...