Sunday, July 22, 2007

Frankie could be a good dog!



Frankie could be a good dog, but only if he got to go on the trail for 10+ miles a day. He went to Arkansas with us and seemed to be having a great time. He's normally such a bad dog, but he was just great all w/e. He was loose with us in the camp ground and never ran off on at all. He went with us on the trail every time we went out and he was always right with us. He's such a great dog, but normally he's into everything. He was so tired at the end of each day that he didn't even try to break into the cooler or the food box. This photo was taken on the bank by the spring we were playing in. He had been swimming and running and chasing wildlife all day and he was pooped.
Bar 50's trails were pretty well marked and they had a map. I found it pretty easy to find my way around once I had my bearings, but i confess the first day without a map I was nervous about finding my way back. I shouldn't have worried b/c there were some east/west roads that ran through the place and as long as I kept oriented to them, I could find my way back. Plus, Freeley has built in GPS...
Speaking of GPS, I couldn't get mine to work there. It kept telling me there was a weak signal. I did get an average MPH, which was very slow, due to hills and rocky terrain, but it kept going in and out. I've never been anywhere that my GPS didn't work so well. There were lots of rocks, but Deli did the whole thing barefoot without missing a beat. The first day I rode Freeley without his boots and he did protest after awhile. He didn't want to walk through the streams b/c of the rocks and he was very careful and slow. The next two days I put easy boot epics on him and he was much happier. I have never used epics on him, but he did great. Granted, according to my weak GPS signal, I probably didn't do more than 12-15 miles any of the days, but I had no rubs and he seemed very happy to have them. I did wonder if back boots would be good and I'm thinking of ordering some for him, but he was really ok. The terrain was a bit like a combination of Robber's Route and Big foot Boogie.
My good friend, Sylvia came with her 14 year old daughter. Unfortunately, Sydney, the daughter, isn't as interested in riding as she used to be. She's more into boys and less into horses. So, she did ride with us a one day but then slept the next 2 days. Sylvia said that her ride on Thursday was the best ride she and her mare had ever had. Her mare used to be crazed to ride. She had to be in front and she was always pulling on Sylvia. Now she rides her in a rope halter. It seems that a new feed called Kool and Kalm is the answer. I'm thinking of trying it in the future.
This week, Jackie, who owns our barn, is going on vacation. I'm helping out to help with the day to day running of things b/c she just hired some new folks who don't know the routines yet. It will be a busy week.
I'm starting to work on my music and massage therapy schedule for the fall. One more is being a little tricky to schedule with and I'm experiencing some frustration with it. I have two hours with the same client and I want to do them in the same trip so that I can see more clients. His mom wants me to come late (after supper) 2 different days which means that I won't be at home with my family two nights and I won't be seeing other clients and earning more money b/c I'll be going to her house 2 nights. It could be that the client can't hack 2 hours in a row (music and then massage therapy) but I wanted to give it a chance, or do one afternoon earlier than the other so I'm not gone 2 separate nights. I'm not sure how to work on this scheduling issue.

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...