Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I caught my dinner, how about you?

These are the words my daughter said to me today when I spoke to her at dinner time. She is in Nantucket visiting her grandparents on her dad's side of the family. His family is strange and complicated, so technically, they are not blood grandparents, but she is having a great time with people who love her and in the end, I think that's all that matters.

We got home from our Missouri trip on Monday at about 4pm. I washed her clothes (the few that were dirty--Mom let me wash most of them at her house on the weekend which was a huge help) and repacked them and then on Tuesday morning her dad picked her up to take her to the airport for Nantucket. Originally, he was supposed to go to Nantucket with her, but he changed jobs earlier this summer and was at the last minute unable to go with her. So, Meg and Lori paid her unaccompanied minor fee and she went on her own. As much as she wanted to go to Nantucket, she didn't really want to travel alone or be away from a parent. She's been in a weird spot all summer with wanting to be away from us, but the tickets were purchased and I fairly made her go. Shawn took her to the airport b/c I knew she wouldn't melt down if he took her and I wasn't sure she wouldn't if I took her.

She spent this morning on the beach with Lori while Meg worked and then they all went out on the boat this afternoon. Meg and Lori have a new dog, Buster, who is a schnoodle. Maggie says that schnoodles are the best dogs ever and if we ever need a new dog we should get one. Buster evidently slept with her part of last night which has sealed her love for him. As for the title of this blog, this is what she said to me when I spoke to her around supper. They went out on the boat and dropped anchor and caught mussels, which Lori cooked in wine and then served in a garlic butter sauce...wish I were in Nantucket.

Tomorrow is my first day at my new job. I'm a little nervous, but I think I'll be OK. I lost the client whose mother was giving me a good time...good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Resuming my blog

 I used to write in here all the time.  I stopped b/c after doing facebook stuff it seemed unnecessary. But lately I have been wanting a for...